Lost Children of Fickle Fox

After some delay I see that the complete 13-episode run of Wonderfalls is to be released February 1st. I've never warmed to Joan of Arcadia, but unfortunately that show thrived while this one, which I did enjoy, was quickly abandoned by Fox when legions of fans didn't spontaneously manifest. They ran 4 episodes, not even keeping the scheduled times in the same place for that long, then dumped it. So, we have a boxed set coming for a series where the majority of the episodes - 9 of them - were never aired. I'm looking forward to this one, especially since the 13-part arc was written as such, so that if the show didn't get a second season it would be able to stand on its own.

Meanwhile:
Gail Berman, president of entertainment at Fox, confirmed to reporters that the supernatural series Tru Calling won't be coming back—but she added that six as-yet-unaired second-season episodes will eventually see the light of day. "We finished six episodes of Tru Calling, and we anticipate putting them on air at some point," Berman told reporters at Fox's winter press tour Jan. 17 in Universal City, Calif.

Now, I wasn't a strong fan of Tru Calling, and I was uncertain of how much I cared for the growing sense of ancient forces and hidden legacies of Good and Evil that the first season ended on. Tru could communicate with the very recently dead, then wake up what was the previous day and attempt to prevent the death using that information. By the end of the first season she learned that there was an opposite number out there, a former co-worker who believes himself to be on a mission to preserve the grand plan, and so to make sure that those fated to die did so. Besides, I kept finding myself thrown off by seeing series star Elisha Dushku moving around with simple, human girly strength and no killer fighting skills after having her be so strongly associated with the superhuman vampire-slayer Faith, late of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel.

According to the interview with Berman (you'll need to scroll down through that above news link to find "Tru Is Dead, But Not Gone") it came down to a decision between a second season of
Tru and the launch of the new series Point Pleasant.


Berman added that the supernatural series Point Pleasant was the deciding factor in pulling Tru Calling from the schedule. "What changed for us was when we saw Point Pleasant, we really felt we had a show that was incredibly compatible with The O.C.," Berman said. "So our thoughts changed, not so much about Tru Calling, but the possibility of not only having an exciting show and a winner at 8 o'clock, but also something that could really make headway for us at 9 o'clock in an incredibly competitive time period."

I tried watching the premiere of Point Pleasantlast week only to find a soap operatic mess blended with the Good vs Evil a' la The Omen and my eyes soon glazed over. That I felt similarly if not worse about what I saw of The O.C. makes it clear that I'm not the demographic they're after anyway. It isn't as if I need more tv to watch.

If you check farther up the above link's news scroll you'll see that creative connections between
Buffy and Point Pleasant are already there (former Buffy producer Marti Noxon is behind this new show, and Adam Busch, who played Warren Meers through several seasons of Buffy currently has a small role as "Wes") and that Noxon is trying to get James Marsters (Spike, from both Buffy and Angel) to come on board the show. Eh. Sure, I'd be interested enough in seeing him show up that I might look in, but I doubt that it's going to draw me into another "apocalyptic battle" with all of the Biblical connections.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes

The Tease of Things I Don't Need