"I always wondered why there weren't any Arabs
leaping off buildings."


Aside from us not flying an airliner into a highrise, I'm stumped, too.

Okay, a terrible cheap shot, that.

The above, terribly out of context line, is from a piece on a line of Arabic superheroes.

AK Comics, which I admit I'd never heard of prior to this, claims to have been operating for a year --- and could very well have been, with current distribution only in Egypt but branching into Saudi Arabia and the Persian Gulf states --- is obviously making a bid for global attention. They should have gotten their website set up a little better first, but it's a potentially interesting set of projects. Depending upon how much they charge and how easy they make electronic payments I could see giving them a try just for curiosity's sake.

From the looks of it they'll be dealing with many a flaming hoop when it comes to censorship; I'm wondering if what will come out the other side will be something unique or four-color baby food. The sample artwork is very Western mainstream, though that's to be expected given where nearly all of the source material is coming from. Whether it will be something more than the same old, same old with different backdrop cities remains to be seen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes