Friday, September 15th, I'd gotten too little sleep and wasn't winding down as I should, and decided to take the plunge into Horrorclix. The place I ordered from (Gathering Ground) is closed over the weekend, so while the automated system took it the order wasn't finalized until Monday. They got it moving by Wednesday - though I didn't know it until Thursday afternoon.

Today, the starter set and brick I ordered arrived.

This is extremely early on in the process for me, so I have little new to say about how well they play.

A look around the Horrorclix gallery will demonstrate to Heroclix players that Horrorclix pieces have generally lower stats. As mentioned previously, though, they don't take pushing damage and once they've killed a victim they gain move and attack powers. This combination should work nicely in the Horrorclix/Heroclix mix.

There are new game mechanics, though, including Plot Twist cards, some figures with two, separate stretches of dial to show a character transforming from one state into another, and an hourglass symbol that pops up on some of the dials. Rather than say what I know about each element I'll wait until I've checked the rules and tried the pieces out on some teams.

As for what I pulled (pardon the caps, but I copied and pasted the lists from the site instead of retyping everything)...

First, there are the six characters in the starter set, nos. 97-102: BANE WOLF, BLOOD VAMP, CHAINSAW, SKELETON, OUTPATIENT, and LYNCH GHOST.

They're good, basic figures, but no one I was particularly looking forward to. Knowing they're going to be in the box didn't make them pieces I looked over much in advance, though.

The Bane Wolf and Chainsaw look more silly than frightening, and the Blood Vamp looks like something between a goth version of a blow-up "date" doll and Vampirella's slightly chunky cousin. The detail's nice, though, and the Skeleton and Lynch Ghost (while transparent - save for the noose) are attractive. They'll have their places and their primary utility is to help get things started.

Above that, though, I bought the starter for the map and the 3D objects.

As for the brick, this is what I pulled:

DOG SOLDIER R
RAZORVIXEN R, E
BRINE WITCH R
ZOMBIE COP R, E, V
SKELETAL MAIDEN R, E x 2, V
JESTER R
DIRE WOLF R, E
DEVIL IMP R, E
CONSTRICTOR R
SHAMBLING ZOMBIE V x2
ZOMBIE LAWYER R, E x 2, V (You thought they were bad when they were alive...)
RUNAWAY R (I was happy not to have pulled more of these.)
MR. FRIGHT zip! (Definitely disappointed to have not pulled any of these.)
VAMPIRE ENFORCER R
SORORITY ZOMBIE R (Only the rookie? She appears to be the best of the zombies in some respects, which was why I was hoping for more or the E and/or V.)
SCARECROW E x 2
EVIL LEPRECHAUN R x 2 (one without card; as is to be expected, the E or V would have been a better pull.)
EXECUTED CONVICT zip!
GHOSTFINDER R x 2
DEEP ONE R x 2 (one with Executed Convict card), E x 2
FAITH PRIEST E
MATRON MOTHER R, E, V
VAMPIRE HUNTER V (Hey, at least I pulled the Buffy analogue.)
TICKLER zip!
HOOK R
TERROR DEMON E
NOSFERATU zip!
FIELD AGENT V

As for the uniques, I pulled four, though to be honest they weren't the four I'd wanted -- and one of them was doubled.:

RASPUTIN x 2
JEKYLL AND HYDE
BISHOP LUZIFER

I'll give them each a try - Rasputin and Bishop Luzifer each look like effective pieces - but the four I was hoping to get were Widow Octavia, Avatar of Cthulu, Reaper of Souls and the Dire Werewolf.

So, not a terrible pull, and the collation issues aren't bad, as I didn't pull more than two of any level of a given character.

Some rules to read and some test games to run, but my aim's still fixed on mixing these with Heroclix... so I'll likely rush towards those scenarios.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes